First
I am a 21 year old female creeping her way towards 40. To really tell you who I am and where I come from would be a tedious time line from 1986 that I really feel you could do without. Not that those past events in my life haven't helped to shape and mold me to the independent, headstrong young woman I am today, it's just that it's tedious! Who wants to sit here and read the story of my life when for the first 12 years it goes : 1989 parents divorced and we moved to Maine; 1994 relocated to the Ozarks etc. etc. etc. To say the least it was a nomadic childhood and before you ask, No, I am not the product of a military childhood. It's more like a mother who had kids young and was growing as we grew. See I was the child of a child. Yes, my mother was legal age when I was born, but she sure wasn't when Aide was. Aide arrived when my mom was just beginning her journey to adulthood. I am sure she was very scared and felt incredibly alone. I am just glad that she had the wonderful aid of my tia to help her. Tia is aunt in Spanish. To make growing up even more confusing besides the constant relocation I was also struggling with my identity. I am considered Mexican-American. My mother had spent nine years being groomed in the Hispanic culture. She tried to raise us to the best of my father's family's expectations, but being cut off from them in the divorce made it very difficult. Even now when I look upon her I see the regret in her eyes. Regret that we aren't fully entrenched in that lifestyle as she thinks we should. I do feel guilty that I no longer speak Spanish, but it couldn't be helped. She had to leave. Yes , the culture is beautiful and colorful but like everything it's a double edged sword. Had we stayed I would not be allowed the headstrong independence I love so much. Watching my mother struggle to provide for us painted a clear picture of what I never want for myself. It is the sole reason I push myself the way I do. I appreciate and cherish all the sacrifices she made throughout our lives, however, I know she did that so that I could succeed where she didn't. We grew up very, very frugally. Some would even consider it dirt poor. I never got a car on my 16th birthday, or help when college came around. I had to work and work hard for everything I have achieved today. Today, my life is considered droll by most of my peers. I work anywhere from forty to fifty hours per week. On top of my work schedule I have some how managed to squeeze in a full course load. I am insane, I know and yes I am very much aware of the failure rate among individuals who have come before me. My argument to those who predict my failure because of those who came before is that they were not ME. Yes, it has taken me three years instead of two to finish my associates degree, but to all of you who said I'd fail, I did not. To further my last laugh I have even been accepted into a very good school to finish what is left of my dream. In the fall of '08 I will start the next chapter of my life as a student of a 4 year college to obtain my bachelor's in accounting and my masters in business. I am realistic enough to know that this could take me at the very least another three years. I am hoping I can make out in the most 5. We shall see. I am sure that in reading this you have a somewhat idea as to the type of person I am. I do believe in growth and change so you will never really know me. To be perfectly honest, I have yet to fully know me either.
Second
You tried to sneak out this morning. I caught you. You were going to leave without so much as a goodbye. Just leave me with nothing but a cold empty space beside me. You didn't know, but I watched you stir awake. You laid there on your back just staring at the ceiling. It was five in the morning. I know you don't have to be to work for another three hours. You technically don't have to be up for another hour, but something woke you. I barely moved and watched you watch me. Your beautiful face looked so broken and alone. It was denial that forced me to stay pretending. I knew it was me. The thoughts that disturbed your slumber. It was all over me. I could feel your struggle. I pretended to inch closer. To subconsciously relate to you what I can't when we're awake. It was then I knew you were building your walls. The walls that I have spent months trying to breakdown, because at that moment that I had inched closer, you froze. Your hand rose to run through my hair. In that exact same manner as how I had fallen asleep in your arms the night before. I lay still waiting to feel the soft brush of your hands, but nothing happened. I peeked. I couldn't help myself and that's when I knew. You had erected your walls. They stood glaring at me solid as steel. You had dropped your hand and moved away from me. Then you did something you've never done. You slid out of the covers and crawled from bed. I heard the rustle of your clothes. Clothes that I had peeled away from your body the night before. Memories flashed, those chocolate eyes, that intoxicating smile that pulled my heart, and you. Just you. There is a fire and vibrancy that flows out of you. It's why even though I am no where near ready for what you need, I can't let you go. You have drugged me and for the first time, I can't let it go. I want to curse the heavens that has brought me you at a time when I can never fully have you. The most aggravating thing about you, is that even though you want me, you don't need me. Your not begging for my attention or harassing me for affection. You just state simply, you're what I want. That was it, and you've allowed me time to make a decision. I think though, my time is up. I laid there waiting with arrogance for you to wake me with your goodbye, but you were scrambling for something, I think your glasses. It was then that I knew. You weren't going to wake me , you weren't saying goodbye. You were done with me and because of the pain and turmoil I had put on you that you never once deserved. You weren't even going to do me the courtesy of goodbye. My ego was hurt, even if I understand your reasons. I am that much of an egotistical man this was new to me. The woman never sneaks away, I do. So I couldn't let you go thinking you would have left me alone to wake up in a cold bed. I snapped on the TV. and said there, now you have light. Did that spark regret or dismay in you? No, you simply said thanks and just like that walked out the door. Not only the door of my room, but my life. The regret that I carry in my heart haunts me day to day. I should have stopped you, but I didn't. It was at the moment when you shut the door that I realized. You may have been 20, but you were more of a woman than I could handle. The experience of you has changed me in ways you may never understand, and as I try to summon anger for the way you walked out. I can only summon gratitude and regret.
Third
1 comment:
Whew, what a flood!
(Strays kind of far from an account of your writerly autobiography, but it surely is an introduction with a lot of hints and suggestions about the personality and life of the writer and her family.)
I like your willingness to ignore the exact details of my assignment in the second piece and show yourself through the eyes of someone else--that worked, I thought.
But, break things into shorter grafs--that's not just a trivial technical teacher's suggestion, it's a way of beginning to force yourself to slow yourself down, paying attention to the reader's reaction, tightening up writing.
Post a Comment