Monday, March 24, 2008

Week 9 theme

Its cold again. We are nearing the end of March and my ice scraper is still a permanent fixture in my car. I fear taking it out. I know the one day I throw it in the house or flip it to the trunk we'll get a blizzard while I'm at work. I can fill the chill pinching at me through my clothes. Jack Frost sure as hell knows how to blow past the barrier of cotton. I have two layers on and I am still cold. Did I mention we are nearing the end of March?

The trees have yet to even bud. They are still trapped in their frozen slumber. The only inkling of the better days ahead are the delightful birds that rouse me from sleep. It is the only hope I have. Their sing song chirps keep me optimistic, but only until the cold seeps through my comforter and I am shivering all over again. I have even gotten angry at the apartment. I should really be mad at myself. I keep the thermostat on 70 and am bitterly awaken when I step out to my car. I feel warm and flushed as I start my day and sometimes end up in the wrong outfits. I pull on short sleeves and too late realize my error. My error that leaves me cold, literally.

Its even affecting people's mood. Trust me. I work with them all day. Everyone that comes in has to bitch about the cold and the damn ground hog who can never let us have salvation early. Its probably worse this year. The way heating bills are up. They just don't want to thaw out; they want their pockets to line back up. I hear owning a home and paying for heat will send you right to the poor house. Thankfully, that is a problem for my landlord. Though we are considerate of the expense to our landlord; we know that if its too expensive for them, rent will be too expensive for us!

It will be so nice when the time comes to open up the windows. Air out the apartment from all that stale, gross air I've been having to inhale all winter long. I have the itch to do some major cleaning. The only thing that is preventing me is all that cold, cold air! I have become such a wimp since returning from Arkansas. I feel frozen all the time, especially this past winter. I will be extremely pleased when the dreary winter finally expels itself. It's like a drug in me that is jonesing for a fix. I shouldn't complain too much. I am not the only one around with the same symptoms that I seem to be suffering from. Hopefully for the sake of Mainers everywhere a break in the cold will soon be seen!

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

I don't see this as week 9--it's kind of the opposite! Week 9 deals with the implicit, the unsaid. Here everything is extremely explicit: you're tired of winter! Here's a week 9 style tired-of-winter piece, just a list:

* Walking the dogs after supper now, seeing the big sun going down.

* Noticing some of the horseshit tossed on the garden in November is starting to show again, not to mention months worth of dog poop

* Didn't bother to shovel after the last storm

* Visited the shed holding my motorcycle yesterday

* Wondering how much road sand is layered over the lupine seed I tossed on the shoulder just before Thanksgiving

* Looking for the bag holding my baseball caps

* Arguing with the missus about when it's time to give the longhaired dogs their puppy cut.

So, to me that list says spring is on its way though I don't think I've mentioned spring, winter, cold etc directly anywhere.

Try again?