Friday, March 28, 2008

Week 10 Theme

I have been running my life for a couple years and am considered to be quite intelligent and responsible. I am always complimented on how bright I am and how for my age I am making so many smart decisions. To a point I have to agree. I have recently been offered a relatively great deal on a house. The owner has no problem financing me herself. I have thought long and hard and crunched the numbers. It seems very likely that I can make a go of it. This is a big decision and I am very much aware of that fact.

I find that the people who spend their time complimenting me on my smart choices, my great work ethic, and my responsibility are the very first to ask me if I've thought this through long and hard. They are the very first to question me and my decision and skew their face up in that "Do you really think that's a good idea kind of way?" No, your right. I didn't think it through, I decided to jump in head first, so that I could make sure to drown myself later. I want to be 21 and drowning in soo much debt that I'll declare bankruptcy by 25.

My roommate can be the worst sometimes. He has this high handedness when he talks to me sometimes. He speaks down to me like he's 45 and I'm 21. He's 23. Not a vast age difference and sometimes I get so irritated I am tempted to not so nicely point out how much better my life and my finances are running than his. I keep my mouth shut and have a running marquee in my head that he is only trying to be helpful and clarify to me what a huge decision it is. He is very smart and points out some great things that will be beneficial, but sometimes he forgets what I do for work. Then I tell myself that you are still at child at 21, Erin, remember that. Its not like you can vote, buy booze, and get financed without a co-signer. It's not like you have fantastic credit. You really need the guidance from those who know what they are doing and leading their life as an example. You should be grateful that this fine upstanding gentleman is willing to take time out of his extremely busy schedule to mentor you and the dangers of getting over your head. We both know that he has set himself up correctly and isn't constantly playing catch up. He's a model of all the right decisions. He's not hiding from the IRS because he has a build up past due student loans, or so broke 24/7 that your the only one paying for all the extra expenses! No not all. Don't be offended, while he dishes his advice. I am quite sure that I have had my fill of advice.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

You start with an ironic situation and end, reasonably enough, with irony's bastard redneck sibling, sarcasm, a very usual progression....